Management is one of the important aspects of establishing a business or any other project. The staff, the form of ownership, organizational design, schedule – all of this must be studied in depth to meet with success. A Management case study implies the analysis of a specific case that raises managerial challenges. In general, a Management case study appeals to either a real or fictitious scenario. It is not uncommon for business schools and firms to use a case study as a training tool.
So if you need to work on a Management case study now, you’re in the right direction – study this article first, then proceed with writing your own paper on the question. You have the makings of doing it brilliantly – the detailed information about what a Management study is, what features it has. Besides, a well-written Management study sample is at your service in this article.
A Management Study: What Is It?
A typical form of the Management study includes such crucial elements as:
- The description of the challenge(s),
- Possible options,
- Final decision,
So, as you see, a case study requires you to investigate a problem using supportive evidence, examine the alternatives and solutions, and offer the most effective solution to the problematic situation. Finally, it is better to provide the possible results for a better understanding.
A case study must include background information on the specific issue because there are more chances to study a problematic situation effectively taking into consideration all the peculiarities. Based on a thorough analysis of the case, it is much easier to demonstrate the problems and effective strategies, as well as recommendations, for solving them in the future.
Remember that a case study on Management can focus either on a business or entire industry, a specific project or program, or a person. It should be noted that when the Management case study is conducted, other companies may apply its results as a business model in order to improve their management effectiveness. So don’t limit yourself to the objects of a case study.
The objective of the Management case study is to determine the effectiveness of the organizational setup and the qualifications of the individuals who will make up the organization. Make a contribution to the field of study! Don’t know how? Look at the Management case study below.
A Case Study Sample on Management to Write Your Own One
- Possible Options
Draenor Inc., specializing in the production of professional dishes, faces difficulties in cooperation between the procurement department and the financial department, which causes the production’s occasional idleness.
From the beginning of 2014, the company has initialized the development of the product lines, and new types of pans with non-stick coating were introduced. Since new pans required the purchase of additional materials that were not used by Draenor Inc. before, the financial department had to allocate funds for the procurement department. According to estimations, nearly 200 thousand dollars should have been allocated monthly for purchasing innovative steel. However, the conflict between heads of departments Ally Berks and Lion Cromwell emerged. The head of the financial department Ally Berks noted that a required sum was allocated without interruption. The head of the procurement department, Lion Cromwell wanted to adjust the sum since a steel supplier Netex increased a purchase price unilaterally.
The CEO of Draenor Inc. Ashton Keynes considered a few options that were the most relevant in the situation. The first option implied the dismissal of Lion Cromwell and hiring a new head of the procurement department who would be able to efficiently negotiate with Netex in terms of the price correction. The second solution supposes the conduction of workshops among heads of departments in order to make them skilled in finding compromises. The third and the most radical option was to merge functions of both departments in one combined department of supplies with a drastic reshuffle.
After continuous reasoning, Ashton Keynes made his choice in favor of the combination of departments. It required a lot of changes in procedural documentation, as well as in the segregation of duties. In particular, Ashton Keynes decided to appoint Ally Berks on the position of the head of the supply department since, throughout all 10 years of her career in Draenor Inc., she has been demonstrating more proficient skills of negotiating and analysis than Lion Cromwell who remained as her deputy.
With the introduction of the supply department, the cooperation between Draenor Inc. and Netex considerably enhanced. Specifically, on the position of the head of the supply department, Ally Berks could reduce monthly sums to 150 thousand dollars due to the adjustment of a delivery system. Although Netex refused to change a purchasing price, Draenor Inc. increased purchases of innovative steel on 32 percent. The combination of departments allowed to provide more effective control over supplies since a direct link between the determination of expenses and the money allocation was established.
5 Extra References to Study the Same Problem in Management
- Christopher, M. (2016). Logistics & supply chain management. Pearson Higher Ed.
- Hill, C. W., Jones, G. R., & Schilling, M. A. (2014). Strategic management: theory: an integrated approach. Cengage Learning.
- Stake, R. E. (2013). Multiple case study analysis. Guilford Press.
- Thomas, G. (2015). How to do your case study. Sage.
- Yin, R. K. (2013). Case study research: Design and methods. Sage publications.
5 Steps to Do a Management Case Study
- Describe a challenging situation faced in Management. What is this situation? There is something unusual. Even something is usual for Management, but you may not know what to do in this particular situation. Or some conditions or demands are complicated. So pick up this challenge and describe everything in details – the more details are presented, the more effective solutions are made. What are these details?
- Prioritize the problems according to the aims and objectives. There may be several problems in Management on which you need to work on. So your task is to highlight the major problem based on the aims and objectives the Management company sets. Don’t try to solve all possible issues in a Management case study – you risk solving nothing! How to rank problems in management? Focus on the potential importance of the question – how does it influence the state of management? Or consider the timing of the impact of a particular problem on the situation.
- Brainstorm the possible options to solve the problem. Despite there is always one option “do nothing”, focus on the other options as well in each situation. Identifying these options is crucial in case studies (basically, that is their purpose). It’s time to use the best brainstorming skills in practice. Remember that you can always rely on our experts to find the best way out of any difficult situation, a kind of “I can’t write my case study”. You can get professional advice on how to solve any specific problem in Management from experienced specialists.
- Evaluate the options and come up with the best one(s). Each option has its pros and cons in any particular managerial activity. So it is vital to assess each option based on some criteria, and only then introduce the optimum option to the audience. The ideal solution should be powerful and applied at the least cost.
- Provide the plan of action on how to implement a decision in practice. In other words, you should create a detailed plan of what a manager needs to do so that the solution will be put into practice – step by step.